Monday, March 3, 2014

Online Dashboards: Increasing Infotention on the Internet



When piecing together my online dashboard, I quickly discovered some undeniable truths in the way I use the internet. I decided to create my dashboard using the very popular netvibes website and application. In order to fill your dashboard, the site directs you to either select from a group of feeds the site labels as essentials or search for other feeds or apps you would like to add. Smack dab at the beginning of the essentials list is Facebook. Of course, this was the first app I added to my dashboard. Reddit and YouTube, my other main uses of the internet, soon followed. I decided to group these three feeds onto a single tab and labelled it Social. I think that by grouping these three site feeds and applications together on a tab, I will be able to achieve a couple of my infotention objectives. First and foremost, I will be able to consciously ignore that tab! I always find myself aimlessly wandering through these three websites with no filter or stopper for my addiction. Now I have a tab purposely separated from my other browsing uses. Additionally, by confining these three applications, I am hoping to diminish my addiction. Applications are not quite as enjoyable to use as a fully functional website.
           
The second tab I created is dedicated to the four main news sources I enjoy visiting. I gather the vast majority of my news through online outlets. I purposely placed USA Today news and Wired News next to each other in my dashboard. This act is aimed at allowing me to increased enjoyment in my news browsing practices. I often find great news articles on the mainstream news sites pertaining to the digital industries that I am interested in, but I quickly get distracted by the other stories and articles on their webpages. By placing Wired on my dashboard, I can immediately move from USA Today to a more technology-focused news source and follow-up on my interests. This will definitely help my infotention efforts.
           
My tertiary use of the internet is for accessing up-to-date information on all of my favorite sports teams and competitions. Therefore, I dedicated an entire tab in my online dashboard to sports news. Leading the charge on this tab is my most visited sports site: ESPN.com. I also included a feed for NCAA basketball, the Philadelphia Eagles of the NFL, as well as a feed for world soccer news. Traditionally, I visit ESPN.com for general updates on my favorite teams (all included in the previously listed feeds) then travel to more specific news sites for a deeper insight into sporting news. By surrounding my ESPN feed with more focused feeds pertaining to my major interests, I should be able to minimize my distractions, dive straight into the news I want to read, and hopefully the time I spend wastefully traversing the internet will diminish.

As a side not, Netvibes added a google search tab to my dashboard by default. I really like it! I have been using my dashboard for about an hour so far. The search tab has allowed me to immediately follow-up on news stories that do not fall into one of my traditional categories of interest. Without the dashboard and the accessibly search tab, I probably would not have retained enough interest (or just been too lazy) to further research these opportunities for increased knowledge! 


The screenshots of my dashboard’s tabs are provided below:
 



1 comment:

  1. Jealous! How did you get that A on the top screen? Glad you are taking advantage of the news, tech, social and sports news you follow. Better to follow ESPN, but you can also get access to the website of the team you like, too. Really great. I'm hoping I can reduce the number of windows open on my browser. You too?

    ReplyDelete